The Malstrum's Mansion The Malstrum's Mansion

Easily one of the more interesting sleeper hits.

I haven't written a review in a while, but considering the lack of reviews this had...

Graphics: You guys did a great job on all of those backgrounds. In addition, the old Mac aesthetic was captured perfectly. Of course, there wasn't much in terms of actual animation, but considering the limitations; I'll let you off the hook.
Sound: There wasn't any music at all considering how the Mac was up until a certain point. On the other hand, those sound effects are excellent.
Content: I'll admit that when I first played this, it was confusing until that aforementioned walkthrough. However, this captures the spirit of the old ICOM/Infinite Ventures games quite nicely. Plus, you guys got the scary factor down to a T. This may not be for the little peckers who can't put down the lame a-I mean, latest iDroid products, but for people who want real Flash movies and games; this gets my appreciation.

What I do like:
-Original
-Nice use of the old Mac aesthetics
-Spooky
-Fun once you know how
-Good sound effects

What I didn't like:
-Confusing at first
-Not going to win beauty pageants, but not everything needs to be in HD.

Overall: Here's a nine from me. (4.5/5)

Phantasy Slut Nassandra Phantasy Slut Nassandra

It may not be much of a game, but good enough for what it is.

I thought I would give my two cents on this.

When it comes to the art and animation, you have improved a bit in that department. The character in question is better drawn and animated when compared to your last commission. (Or for that matter, any female character drawn by the Perfect Kirby guys.) You have a nice mix between Frame-by-frame and tweening for this. In addition, I liked your usage of color for this piece. As for the music, it is quite fitting for what you had and the same can be said for the sound effects. Finally, there's the content: it may not be as amazing as that last game I reviewed or Abobo's Big Adventure, but you put some thought into the interactivity. The use of x-ray was really novel, and the same can be said about the 'light switch.' While the person who paid this piece got a good deal; I think there could have been more done to give it a bit more longevity.

The Good:
-Underused subject
-Good animation
-Nice interactive elements
-Good sound selection

The Bad:
-Considering what Line Marvel, Gorepete, and Ivan Aedler have done; there isn't much in terms of content. However, since this was a commission; I'll let it slide.

Overall: Here's an eight from me, and I told Ivan to check you out. (4/5)

DNF  personal edition DNF personal edition

Very Nice.

It's been a while since I reviewed a game, but this is one of the better games on here. However, I doubt that you are the actual creator of this, but will be fair.

Graphics: This game has quite possibly the best Flash game sprite work that I have ever seen. Seriously, it looks like something that was made for the Neo Geo back in the late '90s. (This happens to be a complement.) It's always exciting to see sprites of this caliber these days. Plus, I liked the use of parallax scrolling and a judicious use of flash effects.
Music: This is a mixed bag. While the song used isn't bad, it gets repetitive fast. Plus, better sound effects would also help.
Content: I haven't played much of this game, but what I have played was pretty enjoyable. However, I think the ability to run faster could have helped this, along with better implemented scrolling. On the other hand, the controls were very responsive and it's still fun to beat up enemies. Oh, and kudos on getting this game down to a reasonable 3.6 megs.

The Good:
-Original
-Great graphics
-Multiple characters
-Good game engine
-Nice variety of moves and characters

The Bad:
-I don't know if you actually made this, but would like to be sure.
-The music, while decent, is repetitive
-Better sound effects
-Better implemented scrolling would be nice
-No English translation

Overall: A nine is suitable for this game. (4.5/5)

Eddsworld IndExtravaganza Eddsworld IndExtravaganza

This brand of raw crudeness Reminds me of what was made back in 2000-2003.

I find the low scores that were given to this to be extremely ostentatious considering when Ben Spurgin of Stick Slayer fame died from a drug overdose; a considerable amount of people didn't see a problem with dissing him and dismissing his achievements. On the subject of Eddsworld, I don't see what was all the hype around that series and Edd Gould in general. That series was basically Tomorrow's Nobodies and Baron von Brunk sans the humor and distinct voices. As for this game itself...

When it comes to the graphics, it reminds me of the poorly drawn and animated hobbyist cartoons that were a dime-a-dozen years ago. (really: really bad) I mean, for Edd's remains I think you should have used a few photos of that guy as a reference so it would actually look like him. On the other hand, not everything needs to look like what you see on X-Box 360 and PS3 complete with 1920*1080 pixel resolution and 320kbit per second audio. (Maybe you guys can take the piss out the HD craze.) That and I prefer to watch and play real things instead of subjecting myself to phoniness. As for the music, nice use of the Final Fantasy 3 boss theme, which is one of my favorite games. Finally, the content was pretty fun for something so heinous and simple. The programming was well-done and I liked how you had the balls to go after Eddsworld's remaining members. Truth be told, Assassin and similar shit like this needs to be brought back in full. I mean, it's almost as if people are trying to eschew this site's history in the name of homogenized 'professionalism' and trying too hard to compete with other sites by cloning them. Don't stop crushing the gris gris and sacred cows of the mainstream.

The Good:
-Having the balls to make something like this.
-Addicting
-Good music selection
-Original
-Satirical in a salacious way

The Bad:
-The fact that Edd's fans can't take a joke.
-It won't win beauty pageants, but the graphics are serviceable.

Overall: Here's an eight from me. (4/5)

Pico's School DX Pico's School DX

Great remake of a Newgrounds Classic!

As a fan of the original game (and early Newgrounds in general), I have to say that you did an excellent job on this throwback. I remember playing this back in the summer of 2000 and enjoying it immensely. It's a pity that so many people on here are unaware of how the site was back then and it had a delightful raw and crude edge to it.

Graphics: Great use of the originator's style, with excellent use of AS3 effects. It may not win beauty pageants, but fuck that shit; something REAL is always better than something "realistic." I think NG ought to take what it learned over the years and apply it to that raw crudeness that was prevalent back in 2000-2003.
Music and sound: Zach, you have done another excellent job on that department. Those cover songs you provided are top notch and quite fitting.
Content: Those looking for a hardcore gaming experience are going to be severely disappointed, but for those wanting something that's good; you've found a winner. It plays just like the Flash 4 original, but with a better shooting engine, faster pace, and the sick humor that NG was once infamous for. However, considering that this is just a remake, it's not very original, but who cares about that when content should be first and foremost.

The Good:
-True to the original
-Better graphics
-Better music
-Better pace
-Good gameplay

The Bad:
-The fact that this is a remake

Overall: Kenney Vleugels, here's a ten for reminding us what NG used to be. (5/5)

Kenney responds:

Thanks for the review and spot on, this is exactly why I made the game. No worries though, the next Pico game is going to be 100% original. I just wanted to have the grips on the original before starting a new game.

Nightmares of Leia Ray Nightmares of Leia Ray

Interesting.

While this isn't a full adventure game in the PC sense; the atmosphere that you were aiming for was impeccable. I remember playing this years ago and thought it was pretty creepy at parts.

Graphics: Interesting mix between black-and-white photography, Photoshop, and Flash. Importing all of those graphics must have been hell, but you did an excellent job compositing them. Plus, you did a great job on the animation even though it was mostly tweened. That and your sparse use of color for a few scenes.
Audio: You did an excellent picking those sound effects, and James' Music fit perfectly. It's surprising that he hasn't considered taking a cue from Kevin McLeod or Zack Striefel.
Content: It may not be as obtuse as other games on here, but what it lacks in challenge; the aforementioned atmosphere and originality compensate for it. Plus, it doesn't try to be more than what it is, which would defeat the point. It's a pity that this isn't as well-known as certain other submissions, but whatever.

The Good:
-Original
-Nice mix of mediums
-Clever use of color
-Very atmospheric
-Great audio

The Bad:
-Not much of a challenge when compared to other games.

Overall: I think a nine would be appropriate for this. (4.5/5)

SIMSEH: Hornbrook SIMSEH: Hornbrook

Nice game!

I did not expect you to make something so ambitious in the world of hentai games. While this does have its quirks, but it was for the most part pretty enjoyable.

Graphics: To be honest, while it is serviceable for the most part; you haven't improved by much. Look, I don't believe that games should always have the best graphics, but enough to get the point across. However, I think you ought to work on rudimentary drawing and animation skills because it will make your hentai work even better. Trust me on this one.
Sound: Aside from the moaning/orgasms, there wasn't much in terms of music. I think you could have scoured the audio portal for music considering that song you had didn't really fit. Plus, said song wasn't properly produced.
Gameplay: This is what prevents this from getting a much lower score. It's obvious that a lot of effort and heart went into this, and the results were pretty enjoyable. You have a solid engine, a nice variety of sex positions, and a nice variety of women to go with that. However, it can get a bit confusing at times, but at least you provided some instructions in the intro.

The Good:
-Original
-Addicting
-Nice variety
-Interesting plot

The Bad:
-Could use better art and animation
-Needs a bigger, better music selection
-Confusing at times.

Overall: Here's a nine from me. (4.5/5)

d-z responds:

I appreciate that you've been watching my stuff for a long time, thank you

Atomic Cowboys Atomic Cowboys

Fun, but flawed.

For a first game, this isn't bad, but there are flaws that need to be addressed. Let me explain...

Graphics: You did an excellent job on the graphics considering that you're a renowned artist. However, there wasn't much in terms of character animation. If this was developed for an old, outdated game system, I'd understand. But, for a Stencyl game it just doesn't feel and look right.
Sound: While I do like the voice clips and the theme song; there wasn't much thought put into the sound effect and music variety. I mean, there is an audio section on this site and would suggest that you scour it for songs. However, the song used was pretty catchy.
Gameplay/Content: Nice throwback to old Nintendo/Sega/Atari/Commodore games and fun to boot. On the other hand, there are three things that should have been sanded out before release. One, the control scheme used wasn't very intuitive to platforming considering that it's the Stencyl/old computer default. I think that fully customizable keys would have made this a much more comfortable experience. Second, as two previous reviewers have mentioned, the hit detection is inconsistent at times regarding enemy projectiles. Thirdly, while I do like the level design and the aforementioned graphics; the stage size results in the whole thing feeling claustrophobic.

The Good:
-Original
-Nice graphics
-Catchy theme song
-Nice voice clips
-Good level design

The Bad:
-Lack of sound variety
-Clumsy control scheme
-Inconsistent hit detection
-Small screen size results in everything being cramped

Overall: It's not bad for a first, but the flaws prevent it from being a shining example. Here's a nine and I hope that you learn from your mistakes. (4.5/5)

Rockman Xover Flash Rockman Xover Flash

Not bad considering that it was meant to be satire.

This scalding mockery really shows one reason why I don't have a "smart" phone. (Maddox already brought up all the others.) That and what everyone else has said about Capcom these days. However, you weren't the first to satirize the faults in the video game industry.

When it comes to the graphics, you did a great job on importing the sprites and mocking HD having them filtered in Photoshop to look ugly. I have to credit you guys for ripping on HD gaming and hope more people follow your lead. Oh, and kudos for having a reference to the DOS Mega Man at the end. Too bad only you guys and myself have gotten the reference. Sound wise, you guys used the same MMX sound effects as every other Mega Man flash on here, but I won't be dastardly considering that they fit quite nicely. It helps that I have no problem with commercial audio as long is it fits. Finally, the content of this is more of an interactive movie than a legitimate game, but like You Have To Burn The Rope and Press Space to Win: it gets its point across. You guys did an excellent job at recreating the gameplay from scratch considering how piss easy it is to make games for that iNookindexurface bullshit that I hate. That and the fact those mobile devices are a poor substitute for dedicated gaming systems and PCs. However, Iragination also recreated this as well, which lessens its impact. If you two decide to make more satires towards HD, tablet computers, smart phones, etc, I suggest that you up the ante with more abrasive/disgusting content.

The Good:
-Clever satire
-Poignant
-Good sound
-Good use of filtered sprites

The Bad:
-Not everyone has gotten the point
-The fact that you weren't the first to satirize the state of the gaming industry

Overall: I am giving this a nine for making a point and presenting it well. (4.5/5)

Castlevania: Ninja Gaiden Castlevania: Ninja Gaiden

Tough, but fun.

Why the hell does this have a middling score whereas something like Pokemon Tower Defense gets frontpage status for months on end? While you weren't the first to make a Castlevania engine in flash; this is the first recreation of Ninja Gaiden on NG.

Graphics: You did a great job on importing the sprites, but there wasn't any real customization involved. A bit of thought in that department would have helped. On the other hand, you did use some flash effects to your advantage.
Music: The music fit the situation perfectly and you did a good job on the editing, which is a plus. That, and you made judicious use of voice clips and actual game sounds.
Content: It's not often that something like this comes to NG, especially in the age of After Effects abuse, lame-ass cell phones that are touted as being able to do everything but the most basic of features, and other trendy bullshit. The engine is solidly made with customizable controls, accuracy to the source (though that short sword makes it harder than it looks), and a well-balanced challenge. While the difficulty may put some off; at least it is an alternative to the piss-easy crap being churned out.

What's Good:
-Underused subject
-Addictive
-Good sprites
-Well coded
-Great audio

What's not-so-good:
-Not much in terms of custom sprites
-Extremely short normal attack

Overall: Here's a nine and I would like to see a full game made with this engine. (4.5/5)