ESCAPE ESCAPE

Amazing as always!

I have to admit that it took a lot of balls to submit something with a low resolution seeing that this site has an intoxicating obsession with HD. (Not everything needs to have a minimum screen resolution of 1280*720 with post processing.) Now, on with the review.

Animation: Goddamn, this beats a lot of the inane tripe that passes for frontpage material for miles. Your poses, timing, expressions, and use of lip-sync are magnificent. Plus, I loved how you did your pans/rotations the hand drawn way. This is the kind of stuff that's legit and excellent at the same time.
Sound: I liked the sparse use of voices and the music selection. It's not easy finding the right music, and even harder to find that right moment.
Content: It may be a one-vs-many cartoon, but the setting and direction make up for it. Many animation veterans are tired of the super fast choreography, yet you used it to your advantage unlike so many others on here. I think more Stickpage/Dojo members should do cartoons with fully-drawn characters because you can only do so much with sticks.

The Good:
-The setting
-Great direction
-Fitting music
-Adept animation
-Decent diologue

The Not so good:
-Not that original, but the execution is what counts.

Overall: Here's a ten from me. (5/5)

SunnyGOES responds:

Thanks, I'll make point of those notes :) Next time I'll try to be more original

The Dojo Collab The Dojo Collab

Excellent!

I have to say that this is probably the best collab of the year.

Animation: Interesting mix between sticks and fully-drawn characters, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. All of the animators did an excellent job on this, and unlike most collabs, felt like a theatrical-era cartoon. In addition, it's nice to see something from you and your collaborators that isn't fighting.
Music: The selection for this is excellent, but you guys may want to check out the audio portal for music next time. (Here's a hint, check out the song Impertinence for something worthwhile.)
Content: It's nice to see something different here from you. The direction and timing are amazing as always. However, I have run out of things to say here, so I have to say "Great Job."

The Good:
-Interesting mix between sticks and fully-drawn characters.
-Original
-Well animated
-Fitting music
-Best example of a collab

The Bad:-
-None at the moment

Overall: Would all of those involved like a ten from me? (5/5)

The iPad SUCKS. The iPad SUCKS.

This may not be the prettiest cartoon, but still funny.

I'm going to be honest with you; Apple is in a decline that started back in late 2006-early 2007. That was back when Steve Jobs was -still- alive. Honestly, the iPhone was a rehash of existing tech, which was basically taking the touch screen of the long-dead Newton, mixed with a stripped-down cell phone and an iPod. As for the iPad: it's just a stripped down Wacon Cintiq.

When it comes down to it, the animation isn't anything special, but it works. Nice use of imported photos and drawn lip-sync. Anything else would be inessential and probably weigh down your jokes. Then there's the audio, the music was good albeit too quiet. On the other hand, I would rather have it too quiet than too loud. In addition, the voice acting is pretty good. Finally, the content may not be up to snuff when compared with what Maddox said about the iPhone; but this was pretty funny. Not too long nor too short, but enough to get the point across.

The Good:
-Funny
-Good voice acting
-Poignant
-Nice music

The Bad:
-Not the worst animation, but not the best.

Overall: Here's a nine for this clever satire. (4.5/5)

Mega Man - Origin of X P2 Mega Man - Origin of X P2

This reminds me of what Flamezero did years ago.

It's been a while since I saw a serious sprite movie that was actually interesting and didn't rely on clichés (examples: Voice actors who were good once but have gotten stale due to overuse; increasingly stale super-fast choreography; and poor joke material, but that last one has been a problem since NG's early years.)

Graphics: While some of the backgrounds may be sloppy when compared with the likes of Alvin Earthworm; the spritework in this was well-done albeit garden variety. However, I did like how you did some customization on Mega Man's behalf. It may not be as meticulous as Super Duck Hunt, or as limit-breaking as Proxicide; but you did a good job none-the-less. Also worth mentioning is your fight choreography. It may not be fast, but at least it was interesting. One gripe: I think that your camera movements could use some easing.
Audio: Unlike the staff, I have no problem with commercial audio as long as it fits the movie and isn't the only music you're using. The songs you chose fit the situations quite well, but I think you ought to check out the songs that Bosa and xenith800 have submitted here when possible. As for your sound effects, I will suggest that you check out Rayforce, Raystorm, Transformers, and Kirby Super Star for those since the ones used seemed tepid.
Finally, the content: I have to admit that I enjoyed your Flash "The Samurai" episode IV, and this is a bit of an improvement. In addition to your choreography, you sure put quite a bit of thought into narrative cohesion. It isn't easy to make a story easy to follow, especially when people put more thought into tricky angles without any thought into how it's going to work. However, this could be less generic considering how overused the subject.

The Good:
-Decent direction
-Great music selection
-Good direction and pace
-Decent writing

The Bad:
-Overused subject
-Needs better sound effects
-Could have used more sprite customization

Overall: Here's a nine from me. (4.5/5)

BallinSNN122 responds:

Thanks for the detailed review! I'll take a look at all the things you suggested, especially regarding the sound effects.

Glad you liked TS4, I used the creation process to shake some rust off, but I feel I can take that and make something I'm truly proud of.

The feedback is much appreciated,

2B

X-Men: Messiah Complex 1 X-Men: Messiah Complex 1

NG needs more comics parodies.

I have to say Matt, it isn't often that you see something like X-Men or any other superhero comic parodied. For that I have to thank you for doing something that is both underused and funny. Of course, given the bad direction that Marvel has gone; there's a lot of material that you can mock. (Rob Liefeld being one example.)

When it comes to the animation, it may be the same old Rayman-esque floating hands, but at least it allows you to do body language easily. However, I think you could could give those X-Men some better poses next time. On the other hand, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Oh, and I liked how you used a gradient for the sky at the end. Then there's the voice acting, which is excellent as always. Finally, the content is pretty funny even though I don't read a lot of comics. Anyone else who try their hand at making comic parodies usually end up with something that's pretty crappy. Also worth mentioning is how you managed to implement Mister Sinister and Cable. (They haven't been used until now.)

The Good:
-Underused subject
-Small filesize
-Great voice acting
-Funny and well-written

The Bad:
-Not everyone will like your cartooning style.

Overall: How would you like a nine from me? (4.5/5)

The Three Shorts The Three Shorts

I see potential in this.

It's been a while since I did a movie review, so I thought I'd give you my honest opinion.

When it comes the animation, it's completely different from your Madness fan cartoons. It's nice to see you do something different, but I think your animations could be better. (Here's a hint: Look up the book Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair.) In addition, I have to agree with Mikik that the framerate could be a bit higher. (21-24 frames per second would suffice.) As for the music, it's an acquired taste, but at least you used your own music. Regarding the content: it may not be spectacular, but it's fine for what it is.

The Good:
-Nice music
-Decent animation

The bad:
-Not much in terms of content

Overall: Here's a seven from me. (3.5/5)

Zetabrand: Ember X Ebon Zetabrand: Ember X Ebon

Excellent.

I know a lot of people have criticized you for just using stick men, but what you did with them is still bad ass! Plus, I liked the choose the victor aspect of it.

When it comes to the animation, what you guys did with those sticks was pretty damned amazing as always. The timing, solidity, and I can go on and on. Sure, a lot of people may complain about this being stick men, but why care about them? Then we have the audio, which fit perfectly with this damn fine submission. Finally, the content is just amazing. Your choreography is just as astonishing as your previous submissions, and kudos for interactivity. However, I would like to see one of these with fully-drawn characters if that's possible.

The Good:
-Excellent animation
-Great direction
-Clever use of interactivity
-Fitting music

The Bad:
-Not very original

Overall: Here's a ten from me. (5/5)

The Rise of Facebook Pt.2 The Rise of Facebook Pt.2

This is for both parts.

I have to agree with what Transparent Presence said about this mockumentary. This is a prime example of how satire should be done and beats Ebolaworld, Sirkowski, Pox power, and SnakeJohnson by a thousand kilometers. As a huge hater of Social Media, "Smart" phones, and that iNooKindexurface tablet crap, this cartoon was very poignant and needs to be seen by more and more people. (I quit using Facebook years ago, don't have a MySpace account, and won't use Twitter.) Now, with that out of the way...

When it comes to the animation, you did an excellent job on the lip sync and I like your newspaper comic style. However, considering what others have said before, I suggest that you look up body language. It'll make a much bigger difference in your next mockumentary. In the audio department, the voice acting in this is a lot better than most cartoons that involve the same damned voice actors that we've heard too many times already. I don't know if anyone has said this before, but you have the ear of a director. That and the music that was selected fit perfectly. Finally, the content of this cartoon was very witty and well-delivered. While this may not have ultra-fast pacing; it didn't need to. Your script was excellently written and clever use of subtle sight gags. As said before, I'm sick of the whole social network/smartphone/mobile tablet crap. As far as I'm concerned; we ought to do to them what the punk and metal scenes did to disco. Well, enough of that, I'll look forward to you guys riffing on Apple and Google.

What I liked about this:
-Well-written
-Excellent music
-Nice lip sync

What I didn't like:
-Tended to drag a little

Overall: Here's a nine from me and keep kicking ass. (4.5/5)

killourkid responds:

wow, thanks for a great review :) i'm glad you enjoyed it! for my next cartoon i will definitely be *attempting* to do some body animation. i'm more of a writer than an animator so i apologise in advance if it sux

If you have an iPhone If you have an iPhone

That was pretty funny for a video submission. (Though I'm not impressed with the HD video craze.)

As someone who has a very negative view towards the "smart" phone/mobile Wacom Cintiq ripoff crap, I have to say that this was pretty funny. As far as I'm concerned, we ought to do to them what the punk and metal scenes did to disco back in the summer of '79. Besides, the Blackberry and the Nokia E70 have Flash support.

Animation: For a video submission, the animation isn't very impressive when compared with what Adam Phillips, Chakra-x, R Wappin, Alldin Dauti, or Screamer Clawz have done. However, I liked the layouts and the style used in this.
Sound: The voice acting was well done, and the music fit perfectly. So, no complaints from me.
Content: I have to admit, this is one of the better video submissions on here though the mpeg treatment seemed inane. However, I was laughing at how you mocked how smart phones/mobile tablets can be used to invade people's privacy, along with Apple's bad decisions they have made for the past ten or so years. Of course, there's room for a lot more jokes ranging in from the iPhone (and iPad) being unable to do from fundamental tasks (basic HTML, Cut/Copy/Paste, and read every email format in existence) to the dipshits who depend on them for everything. (I've been convinced that the reprehensible things are a retardant instead of an enhancement.)

The Good:
-Funny
-Nice style
-Great voice acting
-Fitting music
-Well-directed

The Bad:
-Not the first smart phone spoof, but more are certainly needed.
-For a video submission, I was expecting something done in ToonBoom, Pencil/paper/ink/cels/paint, 3D CG, or stop-motion/clay.

Overall: ADA Sport, here's a nine from me. (4.5/5)

ADASport responds:

Thanks! If you don't mind us reviewing your review -- it was great.

The Good:

-Detailed
-Well written
-Good usage of paragraphs
-Smart feedback

Overall: We give FightingSeraph at 9.5 out of 10 review.

Phantoms - by Prozure Phantoms - by Prozure

Not bad for a test.

While tests are ill suited for the portal, I have to say that you have some potential.

Graphics: There isn't much animation aside for tweens, you do have some drawing skills. I mean, you have a good grasp on proportions, anatomy, perspective, and composition. However, I suggest that you look up some books on animation such as Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair.
Music: I don't have a problem with commercial songs used in (flash) cartoons, but only if the song fits. Well, it did. However, I suggest that you scour the Audio Portal for music.
Content: It's a test, so I can't really comment on that, but you do have some direction skills.

The Good:
-Original
-Nice drawings
-Fitting music
-Decent direction

The Bad:
-Not much in terms of actual animation
-The fact that it's a test

Overall: Here's a seven, and for test animations, consider using your file dump.

prozure responds:

Thanks, for such an nice respond. It was a try for a musicclip to the music in background (Drawings are pretty much my inpressions.) phantoms instead :).